A small plea

I have a small plea to make. As you can see, I haven't made my self-imposed deadline to roll out a new, spiffier template for RI. The reason is that I'm having a hellacious time getting the posts and comments to show properly. HTML newbie that I am, I haven't been able to figure out why the Blogger tags aren't working as they should and are instead showing up as Blogger tags rather than the actual content they are supposed to be pointing to. (There are also some formatting issues that cause boxes to show up where they shouldn't.) I'm also not entirely sure yet that the new design isn't worse than the old generic Blogger template. Fortunately, Kev has agreed to help me out, but, as good a web designer as he is, he doesn't have any experience with Blogger tags and code. So, anyone who has designed their own custom template for Blogspot (such as Ali, Ryan, Sportin' Life, Decorabilia, or anyone else) is there any chance of helping me out here?

Comments

  1. I would be happy to help. My site is all native Blogger but heavily re-designed and tweaked. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heavily rewritten my template, too. I'll help if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by "ditto," I meant I'd be available for any specific questions. Here's a few resources I came across:

    http://help.blogger.com/bin/topic.py?topic=41 (where I learned how to make most of my changes; some cool stuff in this answer)
    http://blogfresh.blogspot.com/2005/08/blogger-hacks-series.html (has some tips on how to categorize)
    http://bloggerhacks.blogspot.com/ (haven't tried any of this stuff yet)

    Knowing CSS would help a lot, but you don't really need that much knowledge to fool around with it and see what happens. Here's a good intro: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all. I may be contacting one or all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for being late to the party.

    In all honesty Orac, I just did a google search for "blogger templates". I wish I could be more helpful, but there are some pretty good designs out there that basically just need cutting and pasting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts